The Law Fair is a must for any student who wishes to explore a career in the legal profession. It is an annual event traditionally held in Week 7 of the Autumn Term and is attended by Law firms from the local area and London. It is a chance for students to network with different companies and discuss potential graduate opportunities and for firms to identify talented students they might like to work with in the future. As well as graduate opportunities, many firms also offer work experience, training contracts, placements and further training. Most importantly, the Law Fair is a fantastic opportunity to ask professionals any burning questions you may have relating to their application processes, the types of contracts available and what potential employers look for in a candidate.
This year’s Law Fair was attended by over 200 students with 22 exhibitors including:
- Attwells Solicitors LLP
- The Bar Council
- BARBRI International Ltd.
- Birkett Long LLP
- Birkett LLP
- BPP Law School
- Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
- Chambers Student Guide/ Chambers and Partners
- Coram Children’s Legal Centre
- Ellisons Solicitors
- Essex County Council – Essex Legal Services
- Fisher Jones Greenwood
- Goody Burrett LLP
- Herbet Smith Freehills
- Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSA)
- John Fowlers LLP
- Support through Court
- The City Law School
- The University of Law
- Thompson Smith and Puxon
- Trowers and Hamlin
If you were unable to attend the Law Fair, here are a few opportunities from firms at the Law Fair you might be interested in looking into:
- Herbert Smith Freehills are running two workshops exclusively for first year students in their London office. These allow you to develop key skills through interactive activities run by highly experienced lawyers, such as: a corporate negotiation workshop, alternative dispute resolution workshop, an insight to their pro bono work and trainee work shadowing. Applications are open from 1 January to 31 January 2020. Click here to learn more about this opportunity!
- Herbert Smith Freehill is looking for Campus Ambassadors at the University of Essex. This provides students with an invaluable experience that gives them further insight into the firm, preparing for your vacation scheme process, and involves planning activities and organising events, growing your professional and personal network, as well as sharing information and amplifying Herbert Smith Freehill’s impact here on campus. Applications are open from 1 January to 31 January 2020 for first year students to become an ambassador during their second year of study. Click here to learn more about this opportunity!
- Support Through Court are looking for court volunteers to provide reassurance and guidance to clients through explaining how the court works, providing help filling out court forms, organising court papers, helping clients plan what they want to say in court, as well as going to court hearings with them. If this is something you find interesting, then click here to read more about volunteering with them!